Returning to a Place That I Have Never Been
This piece is from a series called Family Circus, envisioning the players in the genealogical drama of dysfunction as theatrical, surreal characters.
My use of materials reflects the same montage quality as the varied concepts that inspire me. I use acrylic paint, gouache paint, watercolour, collage, spray paint, ink, fabric paint, chalk pastel, oil stick, oil pastel, crayons, pencil crayons, graphite, found papers, found photographs, found images, house paint, plaster, silicone, pen, markers, cosmetics, glues, stickers, and any other media I can incorporate.
A collagist is always looking, always deconstructing and reconstructing. From dentist waiting room magazines to church hymnals to art history masterpieces at the museum to nightclub flyers, my mind is constantly snipping, juxtaposing, discovering, experimenting, replacing, gluing over, scraping back layers, recontextualizing. I am driven by eclectic curiosity, and by the joy of juxtaposition. My work is a curiosity cabinet and an apothecary of magic potions and spells. It is poetry, and a surreal dream. It is the frantic pace of the city and the magnificent silence of the night. It is about love and death and the sacred and inane, and the absurdity and beauty in all things.
- : Mixed Media
- : Stretched Canvas
- : Acrylic | Watercolor | Pencil | Colored Pencil | Paper | Pastel
- : No
- : yes
- : Signed On Back
- : 2018
- : Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- : 12x12x.75
- : In my Family Circus series, I'm exploring the characters in the drama of dysfunction and love from a theatrical, surreal perspective.
- : My imagination and passion is wide ranging and unique, but my square foot collage pieces are incomplete stories. They suggest new narratives to each viewer based on his or her experiences, not just my own. I'm inviting you into my dreams, observations, and world travels, but I'm asking to be part of yours, too.
- : I price my line of square foot work at $250 Canadian anywhere you will see it, online, in galleries, in different online venues, and the source will add shipping reflective of their service. I'm adding $25 for shipping. Although my larger canvases reflect my years of painting and my experience exhibiting extensively in Canada as well as abroad, I am committed to keeping a product line that is affordable and approachable for all so that my originals are accessible to all audiences.
1 in stock